Today I will not publish any news or code about Delphi, I just want to tell you about the last Saturday 27 (Saturday, February 27, 2010 at 06:34:14 UTC), Chile, my country, was beaten by a monster earthquake.
The Saturday earthquake was the 5th worst in recorded history and was 63 times bigger than the Haiti earthquake on a seismogram, and released 501 times as much energy .
There are many people who need your help.
- In the time period since the earthquake’s origin at 2010-02-27 06:34 to 2010-03-01 16:00 UTC, the USGS NEIC has located 121 aftershocks of magnitude 5.0 or greater.
- The Saturday earthquake was the 5th largest magnitude earthquake to occur in the world since 1900
- The worst earthquake in recorded history was a 9.5 magnitude quake that occurred in Chile as well
- The earthquake in Chile released more energy than was released during the Mount Saint Helen’s volcanic eruption in 1980.
- World’s biggest earthquakes since 1900
- Calculate the magnitude
- USGS Official Info about the earthquake
How to help
The following organizations are accepting SMS donations in the US only:
- SMS text “CHILE” to 25383 to donate $10 to Habitat for Humanity
- SMS text “CHILE” to 20222 to donate $10 to World Vision
- SMS text “REBUILD” to 50555 to donate $10 to Operation USA
- SMS text “YOUTH” to 20222 to donate $10 to UNICEF
American Red Cross — the American Red Cross International Response Fund helps victims of crises such as the Chile and Haiti earthquakes. If you wish to designate your funds to a specific crisis, you’ll need to mail in your donation.
Americares — funds go exclusively to the Chilean earthquake (and tsunami relief, should further tragedies occur)
World Vision Disaster Response Fund - your money goes towards relief efforts for global disasters worldwide (not Chile specifically)
Thanks in advance for you support.
Go Chile Go.